Sunday 16 May 2010

Cleaning out the locker.

The last 48 hours have probably been the most indescribable two days of my life. We have hit Cape Town at last! It doesnt seem real what we have just done, it is a bit of a dizzy feeling unpacking my locker, boxing up my bike and having to find my own food for a change. I can probably remember experiencing a lifetime of emotions in one day, it is pretty unreal. The last riding day started at 3 degrees, yes 3 degreess celsius. I could literally not feel my hands or feet for an hour until the sun rose, it couldnt have been a more contrasting picture to the previous 5 days and the proceeding few hours.
I cant describe to you how mind blowing the first view of table mountain was, i dont think I have ever wanted to cry upon seeing a mountain but yesterday was a big exception. The sky was beautifully blue, totally clear, namibian blue, we had been having rain all week and we were blessed with the most beautiful day. Everyone grouped up at lunch where we took photos and hugged and chatted with Cape Town in the back ground, it was all pretty surreal. I cant wait to show you the pictures, i am usless at describing how beautiful a day it really was. Our convoy started at around 12 oclock and we pedalled in unison along the bay in a semi circle into the city. Table Mountain kept getting bigger and bigger and the convoy faster and faster. Its amazing to think about what we have done, especially the full tour riders, the EFIers, everyone. Each day is so individual that it is easy to forget the distance we have covered until you look at a map. I can recall the feelings and emotions from each riding day, i can remember specific climbs, long roads, dirt tracks. I can still feel it in my legs, in my hands and arms. Africa has pretty much changed my body and i am going to miss being on my bike every single day.

I would like to finish by saying thank you to everyone who supported me and sponsored me. I didnt believe in myself at the start, if i could even ride a whole day, each day gave me more confidence and I feel stronger on each riding day. Thank you to mum and dad for the amazing bike which has been the best riding of my life, and for the flights to get me here. Thank you to megan and kate for all the love support and messages on the trip and thank you very much to rosie for being there for me and listening to me when i was planning the trip and worrying about everything and trying to train, and also to the Lomas family for the amazing Lumix camera which i have taken thousands of photos on!

I wish i could put it into words, into pictures, into videos but i cant...When i get back make sure i tell you some stories because i sure as hell cant describe it on here. Basically it feels like i can do anything, like i can get on my bike and keep going. I will definately be coming back after uni to do Cairo to Nairobi! Lastly I would like to thank everybody on tour (hopefully some will read this) Everyone made me feel so welcome and looked after me and made every single day an amzing experience.

Anyway, i need to find a hostel now!

See you sooon

Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment